While adoptions in Georgia are usually not as contentious as other areas of Family Law, the requirements and paperwork to complete the adoption successfully can be overwhelming. From the drafting of the termination of parental rights release forms to the background checks performed by the Court on the adoptive parents, Mitch will advise and represent you through the process. Contact Mitch at 404-916-7948 or email him at for a consultation.

There are six types of adoption in Georgia: (1) Public or private agency adoptions where the State of Georgia or a private agency places the child with the adoptive parents. (2) Adoptions by third parties where someone who is not a stepparent or a relative adopts the child. (3) Stepparent adoptions where a stepparent adopts the child.(4) Adoptions by relatives where a grandparent, great-grandparent, aunt, uncle, great aunt, great uncle or a sister or brother of the child adopts the child. The child may be related to the person adopting the child either by blood or by marriage.(5) Adoptions by foreign decree where the child has already been adopted in another country. (6) Adult adoptions where the person to be is adopted is over 18. In order to adopt in the state of Georgia, you must meet the following conditions:(1) You must have lived in Georgia for at least 6 months before filing the petition; (2) You must be at least 10 years older than the child; (3) You must be at least 25 years old unless you are married and living with your spouse; (4) If you are married, you must adopt with your spouse (unless you are the child’s stepparent); and (5) You must have the money, health and mental ability to take care of the child.

Other important details regarding Georgia adoptions are that the child must agree to the adoption if he or she is 14 years old or older and the agreement of the child must agree in writing. Also, while it is much easier if the biological parents agree to the adoption, in some instances, the judge can take away or terminate the parental rights of the biological parents if it is in the best interest of the child. These termination of parental rights type of actions can be very lengthy and costly. Please call Mitch at 404-916-7948 or email him at for a consultation.